Federal Programs Information Brochure
Federal program funds are supplemental to state and local funds and are designed to enhance and upgrade the education program by:
- Holding all students to high academic standards that prepare them for success in college and career;
- Ensuring accountability and guaranteeing that when students fall behind, steps are taken to help them and their schools improve, with a particular focus on the very lowest-performing schools, high schools with high dropout rates, and schools where subgroups are falling behind;
- Continuing to ensure that parents and educators have annual assessment information about how students are doing, while supporting states and districts in reducing unnecessary, onerous, and redundant testing;
- Empowering state and local decision-makers to develop their own strong systems for school improvement;
- Protecting students from low-income families and students of color from being taught at disproportionate rates by ineffective, inexperience, and out of field teachers.