If you are new to Elgin and were in NHS in your last school, please come see Ms. Ivey in room 117.
INTERESTED IN NHS MEMBERSHIP?
- Membership in NHS is for junior and senior students only.
- Sophomores and juniors who qualify academically will be invited to apply for membership this spring semester.
- Applications will be delivered to eligible students in the Spring Semester.
- Download the2017 NHS application
Academic Requirements for NHS:
To qualify in NHS, students must have and maintain an average of an 85% or better. On the 4.0 college grade point average scale, this is a 3.4. In addition to grades, students must meet the additional qualifications below.
- Students must be enrolled as a junior or a senior.
- Students must demonstrate the qualities of character, leadership, and service.
- Students may not have any disciplinary referrals from the current or previous year.
How to Join:
- Sophomores and juniors who qualify academically and have no major disciplinary infractions will be invited to apply in the spring semester.
- Applications will be delivered to students; if you have questions, see Ms. Ivey in room 117.
- Completed applications will be reviewed by a faculty committee.
- Accepted applicants will be notified at school and later sworn in at the annual induction ceremony.
- attend regular meetings
- maintain a cumulative GPA of 85% or higher
- complete 4 (or more) hours of personal community service each semester
- participate in at least one NHS committee event each semester
- avoid receiving disciplinary referrals
- pay dues of up to $10/semester ($20 for the entire year)
- Failure to follow any of the qualifications listed above may result in a demerit
- Three demerits may result in removal from NHS