Bilingual & English as a Second Language
The Bilingual and English as a Second Language department aims to provide exemplary education to all English Language Learners (ELLs) and ensure each student develops the cognitive academic language proficiency skills in English necessary to reach the highest level of academic achievement and obtain long-term success. Here you will find some information, as well as educational resources, to help your student succeed.
2020-2021 Bilingual and English as a Second Language Program Progression
- Bilingual Education Programs
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Program
- Bilingual / ESL Program
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) / Bilingual
- Two-Way Dual Language Information Pamphlet (05/16/2018)
- NEW! 2021-2022 Two-Way Dual Language Application (05/13/2021)
- NEW! 2021-2022 Two-Way Dual Language Committment Letter (05/13/2021)
- Dual Language Resources
Dual Language Program
Elgin ISD offers a dual language enrichment program to students in grades Pre-Kinder through 5th. Elgin ISD offers two strands of dual language education for English language learners and students who want to develop high levels of linguistic and academic proficiency in two languages. Both programs offer dual language proficiency in English and Spanish.
- One-Way Dual Language: Elgin ISD offers English language learners a One-Way Dual Language program which begins in Kindergarten where students will spend half their school day learning content in Spanish and half the day learning content in English. The percent of instruction will increase as student's progress through the program.
- Two-Way Dual language: Elgin ISD offers English language learners and all students interested a Two-Way Dual Language program which begins in Kindergarten. Students will spend half their school day learning content in Spanish and half the day learning content in English. The students in this program are an even mix of native English speakers and native Spanish speakers. The percent of instruction will increase as student's progress through the program.
Elgin ISD offers Sheltered Instruction classes at the middle school and high school level for English Language Learners (ELLs) to assist secondary English language learners in mastering their language, learning and cultural adjustment needs for achievement in the general curriculum. The program assists students in developing their academic language proficiency and content knowledge necessary for academic success.
English as a Second Language
Elgin ISD offers English as a Second Language (ESL) classes to English language learnings, which delivers direct instruction and support services to students until they have met academic and linguistic proficiency in English. At the elementary we have ESL classes with certified teachers to support English Language Learners. At the middle school and high school we have certified ESL teachers that teach an English for Speaker of Other Languages (ESOL) course to students who are non-native English speakers.
Except where noted otherwise, all downloads are in Adobe Acrobat (PDF
Main Phone: (512) 281-3434
Director of Bilingual & ESL
Dr. Sheila Guzman
Bilingual & ESL Coordinator
Bilingual, Dual Language & ESL Coordinator
Anne Marie Garza
Bilingual/ESL Secondary Specialist