Thank you for your interest in substituting for Elgin Independent School District. Substitute teachers play a vital role in our schools. It is our goal to recruit dedicated, caring individuals who enjoy working with children and believe in the mission of EISD to ensure a high-quality education that guarantees a life-changing experience for all.
Whether you are a returning substitute or applying for the first time, we want your experience in Elgin to be a meaningful one for you and the students. Information located on this site has been provided to help you navigate through our substitute system and to provide answers to questions you may have.
To be eligible to substitute you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Certified teacher
- College degree
- Completed some college hours at an accredited university
- High school graduate
Steps to become a substitute teacher:
- Complete an online substitute application. Paper applications will no longer be accepted. Please make sure you have a correct email address listed on your application as this is the main form of contact throughout the hiring process.
- Complete all new-hire documents, including original transcripts, driver's license, and social security card.
- Pass a fingerprint background check. The fee for the fingerprint process is your responsibility.
- After careful review of your application, you will be contacted via email if your qualifications meet our needs. We will only contact qualified applicants when the demand requires us to expand our substitute number. Applications will be reviewed throughout the school year.
- Attend orientation.
Substitute daily rate of pay:
- Classroom Teacher / Aide / Office (HS Diploma): $100
- Classroom Teacher / Aide / Office (Associate Degree): $105
- Classroom Teacher / Aide / Office (Degree): $110
- Classroom Teacher / Aide / Office (Certified): $115