Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Workers' Compensation

Elgin ISD provides workers' compensation benefits to employees who are injured at work. This benefit will cover only a work-related injury or illness, not other medical problems. Once a claim is reported and accepted by the HC department, your workers' compensation benefits begin. This is the only medical benefit you may use for treatment of your specific claim/injury, including medical examinations and medications.

Process for Workers Compensation Claims:

If you are injured at work, think the injury was caused by work, or a doctor tells you the injury/illness is work-related, the following steps must be taken:

  1. You must immediately report the incident to your supervisor (e.g., principal, director, manager, or coordinator).
  2. Your campus/department Administrative Assistant needs to complete an online First Report of Injury or Illness report with specific information and email the Human Capital office.
  3. In the event of an emergency, the employee may find a provider at the Political Subdivision Workers' Compensation Alliance web site.
  4. If the incident is minor, you may seek medical attention from your campus nurse, Community Family Health Center (located at the Elgin ISD Flex Campus) or FastMed Urgent Care (located in Bastrop and Manor). These clinics are on a walk-in basis and do not require an appointment. Please let the front desk know that you are on a Workers' Comp incident and are employed with Elgin ISD. These facilities will notify us to get further information if needed. If you have not notified your supervisor, please do so as soon as possible.
  5. The HC department will submit your incident report with TASB Risk Management and an adjuster will notify you. Once an adjuster contacts you, a treatment plan may be developed. It may be as simple as first aid, or ice and over-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication. However, immediate medical care may be necessary.
  6. It is your responsibility to stay in touch with your manager and/or supervisor during your absence. The workers' compensation staff does not call in any absences for work-related injuries.
  7. According to the Texas Division of Workers Compensation DWC law, Elgin ISD does not pay injured workers for the first seven days off work. In the event that you need to be absent from work during this time due to injury, you must use your paid leave.